We just returned from the most incredible Safari ever, but before we left I had a lot of anxiety about what clothing to pack. Did I HAVE to wear khaki? Did I need a hat? Could I wear my leopard scarf while we were out spotting leopards? (Quick answers: no, yes, yes). Now that I have completed my safari, here are my five packing must haves for enjoying yourself!
1. Wear layers- It was pretty cold in the morning and pretty warm in the afternoon and the only way to be comfortable on a safari is to wear layers! I was fine wearing long pants the entire day, but I wore a short sleeve shirt, with a cardigan over it, a fleece, gloves and scarf. I was able to really easily remove layers and keep them in the truck.
2. Wear a hat- It doesn't have to be a wide-brimmed hat (which I love), but I highly recommend packing a hat. It is very sunny, there is no shade and you are open to the elements.
3. Wear neutral colors- Don't wear bright colors on your safari. You'll want to be in more neutral khaki, white and green. Of course, I'm not entirely sure that it really matters what colors you wear (some do attract bugs so avoid those), but in general those are the right colors to pack!
4. Bugspray and Sunscreen- Our safari provided both of these items, but you will definitely want to pack them. The bugs were not bad at all on our safari, but I felt better wearing it anyway. I obviously needed sunscreen over my entire body. Also my shirt pictured above is a special bug-away shirt from REI. It was also light-weight and perfect for safari.
5. Binoculars and Camera- Get a better set of binoculars and a better camera than you think you will want. Trust me on this.